In this post series I will go through detailed step by step (with screenshots) related to System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 Installation and Configuration that IT Administrator or technical consultant will need to build Operations Manager 2007 R2,
In this part I will start with Pre-Build Steps:
a) The 1st step in Pre-Build is to design System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 based on business, technical and operations requirements, and as a very good guidance for Operations Manager 2007 design you can use Microsoft Infrastructure Planning and Design for System Center Operations Manager 2007 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee354213.aspx , this beside using Microsoft Operations Manager 2007 R2 Design Guide and all other Operations Manager 2007 R2 Documentations http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/om/bb498235 .
The output of System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 design should include but not limited to the following:
- Hardware Requirements:
- Number of Servers.
- CPU, Memory.
- Storage Requirements based on Database Grooming and historical Data Retention Period.
- Software Requirements:
- All Required Operating Systems and Software with related required editions, for example Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition, SQL 2008 SP2 …etc.
- Environment Requirements:
- Servers Names.
- Servers IP Addresses.
- Servers Locations and Connectivity.
- Firewall Requirements.
Table below shows Supported Operations Manager 2007 R2 Firewall Scenarios:
|Operations Manager 2007 R2 Component A||Port Number and Direction||Operations Manager 2007 R2 Component B||Configurable|
|Root Management Server||1433 —>||Operations Manager Database||Yes (Setup)|
|Management Server||1433 —>||Operations Manager Database||Yes (Setup)|
|5723, 5724 —>||Root Management Server||No
The port must be open to install the component.
Port can be closed after install the component.
|Gateway Server||5723, 5724 —>||Root Management Server||No|
|Root Management Server||1433 —>||Reporting Data Warehouse||No|
|Reporting Server||5723, 5724 —>||Root Management Server||No
The port must be open to install the component. Port can be closed after install the component.
|Operations Console||5724 —>||Root Management Server||No|
|Connector Framework Source||51905 —>||Root Management Server||No|
|Web Console Server||5724 —>||Root Management Server||No|
|Connected Root Management Server (Local)||5724 —>||Connected Root Management Server (Connected)||No|
|Agent||5723 —>||Root Management Server||Yes (Setup)|
|Agent||5723 —>||Management Server||Yes (Setup)|
|Agent||5723 —>||Gateway Server||Yes (Setup)|
|Gateway Server||5723 —>||Management Server||Yes (Setup)|
|Agent (Audit Collection Services Forwarder)||51909 —>||Management Server Audit Collection Services Collector||Yes (Registry)|
|Agentless Exception Monitoring data from client||51906 —>||Management Server Agentless Exception Monitoring file share||Yes (Client Monitoring Wizard)|
|Customer Experience Improvement Program data from client||51907 —>||Management Server (Customer Experience Improvement Program End) Point||Yes (Client Monitoring Wizard)|
|Operations Console (Reports)||80 —>||SQL Reporting Services||No
The Operations Console uses Port 80 to connect to the SQL Reporting Services Web site.
|Reporting Data Warehouse||1433 —>||Reporting Server||Yes|
|Audit Collection Services Database||1433 —>||Management Server (Audit Collection Services Collector)||Yes|
|Web Console Browser||51908 —>||Web Console Server||Yes (IIS Admin)|
- Active Directory Requirements, for example Trust Relationship between AD Forests.
- Public Key Infrastructure Requirements, for example.
- Operations Manager Requirements:
- Required Features.
- Required Operations Manager Server Roles.
- Required Management Packs.
b) Follow the below deployment check list to be sure that you are ready for Operations Manager 2007 R2 deployment:
|Base OS||All Management servers for OpsMgr will be Windows 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit; SQL Database servers will be Windows 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit (O.S. to be Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition if Microsoft Cluster used for high availability).|
|Base OS||Enable .Net 3.0 Framework and PowerShell feature components on all Management server roles in Table-1
Enable Web Server role selecting all component on Root Management Server as this server will be hosting Web Console.
Enable Web Server role selecting all component on SQL server role in Table-1 as these server will be hosting SQL reporting Services.
|AD||AD with domain functional level of Windows 2000 Native and above.|
|AD||OpsMgr OU for Operations Manager Servers created. All Computer accounts for Operations Manager Servers should be moved under OpsMgr OU.|
|AD||Following Domain accounts are created:
Please Note : * are service accounts and these accounts must have:
User cannot change password
Password never expires
|AD||Following Global Security Groups are created:
|AD||Following Group Policy Objects will be created:
Group Policy at Domain Level to create Restricted Groups to make “OpsMgrAction” account a member of Local Administrators group on all servers to be monitored.
Group Policies for DC’s to make “OpsMgrAction” account a member of Local Administrators group. This group policy can be linked to Domain Controllers OU
Group Policy at OpsMgr OU Level to make following accounts a member of Local Administrators Group:
|To push agents.|
|SQL||A standalone SQL 2008 SP2 64-bit Standard Edition named instance created (Enterprise Edition to be considered in case of using SQL Cluster)
Also SQL 2008 R2 can be used now while the steps in this MS Article should be followed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2425714
|SMTP / Exchange||Confirm availability of primary and failover SMTP servers are available.|
|SAN Storage or Local Disks||LUN’s (Or Local Disks) with appropriate sizes are created as given in Design|
In the coming post I will go through step by step for Operations Manager 2007 R2 installation with screenshots.
- Part 1 “Pre-Build” can be found here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/01/09/operations-manager-2007-r2-installation-and-configuration-part1-pre-build.aspx
- Part 2 “Installing Operations Manager Database” can be found here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/01/09/operations-manager-2007-r2-installation-and-configuration-part2-installing-operations-manager-database.aspx
- Part 3 “Installing Root Management Server” can be found here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/01/10/operations-manager-2007-r2-installation-and-configuration-step-by-step-part3-installing-root-management-server.aspx
- Part 4 “Configure GPO for SCOM” can be found here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/01/10/operations-manager-2007-r2-installation-and-configuration-step-by-step-part4-configure-gpo-for-scom.aspx
- Part 5 “Configuring SQL Reporting Service” can be found here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/05/16/operations-manager-2007-r2-installation-and-configuration-step-by-step-part-5-installing-sql-reporting-service.aspx
- Part 6 “Installing Data Warehouse Database” can be found here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/08/14/operations-manager-2007-r2-installation-and-configuration-step-by-step-part-6-installing-data-warehouse-database.aspx
- Part 7 “Installing Audit Collection Service” can be found here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/08/15/operations-manager-2007-r2-installation-and-configuration-step-by-step-part-7-installing-audit-collection-service.aspx
- Part 8 “Download and Import Management Pack” can be found here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/08/16/operations-manager-2007-r2-installation-and-configuration-step-by-step-part-8-download-and-import-management-pack.aspx
- Part 9 “Discover Windows Computer and Deploy Agents” can be found here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/08/27/operations-manager-2007-r2-installation-and-configuration-step-by-step-part-9-discover-windows-computer-and-deploy-scom-agents.aspx
- Part 10 “Discover Unix/Linux Servers and Deploy Agents” can be found here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/08/29/operations-manager-2007-r2-installation-and-configuration-step-by-step-part-10-discover-unix-linux-servers-and-deploy-agents.aspx
- Part 11 “Configure Notification” can be found here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/09/03/operations-manager-2007-r2-installation-and-configuration-step-by-step-part-11-configure-notification.aspx
- Part 12 “COnfigure Audit Collection Service” can be found here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/09/17/operations-manager-2007-r2-installation-and-configuration-step-by-step-part-12-configure-audit-collection-service.aspx