Fixed: BizTalk 2013 BAM Portal configuration problem

The Problem

When configuring BizTalk Server 2013 RTM on a multi-computer environment you might face multiple issues that are new and did not exist in previous versions of BizTalk server. One of these issues that I faced was when you try to configure the BAM portal after you have configured the BAM Alerts service. Of course you already know that the BAM alerts in BizTalk 2013 is using a new model of Database mail instead of SQL server 2005 notification services (finally) but it seems this caused some problems. In this scenario the configuration failed and when you open the log you see this error.

Error encountered: Could not install BAM Portal, error with regard to “BAM Management Web Service User”

Error thrown: “Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.”

The Solution

When I started looking at this error I started thinking that the BizTalk configuration application is corrupted so I restarted it, with no luck. I then restarted the entire machine with no luck. I then started to look into the log file more carefully and found that there is another error being reported before this one complaining about a problem with one database role called “NSSubscriberAdmin” in the BAM Alert Application database.

I opened this database and I could not find this role defined in it. I started to search the internet for someone who faced this problem with BizTalk 2013 and I found one here. He is suggesting to just add the role “NSSubscriberAdmin” to the BAM Alert Application database. So I did this and it worked.

BUT when I started thinking of what I did, I thought this is wrong since the configuration application did something using this role and this role is not used anywhere in the application so this must hunt me back sometime later. So I opened the SQL management studio and looked at this role and what the configuration application did to it. I found that it actually added the BAM Management Web Service user to this role! So this will be used by this service; what I found also is that there is another role in this database called “BTS_SubscriberAdmin” role (rings any bells 😉 ) so I am thinking this is the true role that the configuration application should have used. So what I did is that I added the “BAM Management Web Service User” to this role “BTS_SubscriberAdmin”. I hope that this is enough to make the solution work with no problems. J

Happy BizTalking 😉

Leave a Reply